Last January, a fire caused an estimated $500,000 in damage in the home of Ron Rivera, coach of the football team Carolina Panthers. The investigation by the respective fire department determined that the cause was a fault in the fireplace—a result of either improper installation or material defects.
Good fireplaces work efficiently in heating your home and are a great opportunity to enhance the look of a room. What should be learned is to be extremely careful when you select a fireplace and gas logs in Greenville, SC. Here are a few tips in buying fireplaces to help ensure efficiency and the safety of your home:
1. Identify the type of fireplace you want.
- Wood Fireplace – If you want to go old-school, this is a good choice. It adds elegance to your home with smoky scents and crackling logs. Just note that this type requires maintenance work (disposing ash and regular cleaning), although newer designs have innovations that reduce the inconvenience of maintenance.
- Gas Fireplace – This type is less tedious to maintain and the fuel is of lower cost than wood. Most designs today offer a replica of the wood fireplace’s looks—no crackling and smoke, though. You have two options for fuel: liquid propane or natural gas.
- Electric Fireplace – This is a very cost-effective type and does not require vents. Though not as rich in experience provided as the other two (there are no actual flames), it is quite convenient and safe. Some designs even offer photorealistic flame.
2. The heating capacity you need will differ depending on the room size and your objective. If you only want a fireplace for room decoration, get a design with minimal capacity. If you actually need it as a heat source, you must take the dimensions of the room where it will be installed and use these as a guide in buying. Manufacturers indicate how large a room their fireplaces can heat.
3. Make sure you are only buying products from trustworthy manufacturers. There are sellers of fireplaces in Greenville, SC, such as Buchanan Fire and Outdoor, which offer fireplaces only from the top manufacturers. You can be assured of the highest quality and the strictest adherence to safety regulations.
After you buy, don’t be afraid to ask questions to the seller. It is important that you know all the necessary procedures and precautions so you don’t have to worry about harmful incidents.
(Source: Faulty fireplace causes fire at home of Panthers coach, WCNT9, Jan. 16, 2015)Posted by: