Top Tips to Get Your Gas Logs Winter Ready
Keeping your home warm in winter is a major concern of many of our neighbors and friends. Staying warm is easy with low maintenance gas logs in your fireplace. The team at Buchanan Fire and Outdoor delivers dependable gas log installations and maintenance in Greenville, SC. We’ve been in the business of keeping your home warm and cozy for over 30 years.
Overall, gas logs require very little maintenance but don’t wait until winter to get started. Scheduling gas log maintenance in the fall will keep you warm all year long. Here are our top tips for gas log maintenance and care.
- Know Which Gas Logs You Have!- Vented and ventless gas logs both provide wonderful heat without a lot of maintenance. Still, the maintenance and care of these two types of logs are very different.
- A vented log will give you a more natural looking flame and will need to be installed in a working fire place with the damper open.
- A ventless log will look less realistic and should be used with the damper closed.
If you aren’t sure which type of gas log you have, call the team at Buchanan Fire and Outdoor in Greenville, SC, we’ll be happy to help you identify your logs and set up a maintenance plan.
- Clean Vented Logs With Gentle Brushes- Abrasive sponges, clothes, and brushes can damage the finish of gas logs or make them fade. Always wait until logs are completely cool then use a soft bristled brush to carefully sweep away soot and dust.
- Get Ventless Logs Cleaned By a Professional- Ventless logs need cleaning and maintenance that should only be done by your trusted professional fire and hearth company in Greenville, SC. Compressed air will be used to gently and carefully remove dust and buildup from your air inlet holes and the oxygen depletion sensors. This delicate process can help save you time and money by protecting your logs from damage.
- Never Use Water or Solvents to Clean!- Never use a damp cloth or any other wet source to clean your logs. Fading, cracking, and damaged finishes can wreck your beautiful vented gas logs.
- Do Yearly Inspections and Maintenance Early- There’s nothing worse than going to turn you gas logs on and realizing they don’t work when you need them the most. Professional gas log maintenance includes inspecting your logs for cracks or soot build-up. Have your gas lines checked before starting them up in winter. Also, get your chimney and fireplace inspected once a year.
- Replace Broken Logs & Install New Gas Logs- During your routine inspection and maintenance, you might find broken or damaged logs. Get them replaced as soon as possible. Gas logs provide an incredible heat source with little mess or maintenance.
- Check Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors! When you schedule your yearly gas log maintenance and cleaning, make sure you test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries and test the alarms. Buchanan Fire and Outdoor is a family owned business. We think of our customers as part of the family so your safety is very important to us.
If you have any questions about your gas logs or are looking to install new gas logs, call Buchanan Fire and Outdoor at 864-834-5226. Now is the perfect time for gas log maintenance or getting a new set of gas logs. We’ll have your home cozy and warm in no time.Posted by: